Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Art From a Different Perspective!

"Think left and think right, think low and think high. Oh, the THINKS you think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss

******************************************************************************

So this post is a little late in coming, because it refers to a project I completed before Christmas. Whoops! But it was just so cute that I wanted to write about it.

I've seen on Pinterest the idea of creating "Snowmen from a Different Perspective." The original blog post can be found here. Here's an example I made:




I try to integrate Math into Art whenever I can, and we call it "MART" (a former student of mine came up with this!). So when I did this project, it was important to me NOT to provide templates for the circles. Instead, we used compasses and learned about the parts of a circle (radius, diameter, circumference), and made our own circles! Combine that with some cute scrapbook paper, and you have one of the cutest snowmen around! My grade level colleague even had the idea of using some of the scraps and making "mini" snowmen, so we did that this year. They were super fun!

Anyway, I looped up with a few of my students, because I had a 4/5 blend last year, and a straight 5th grade this year, so 10 of my kiddos already did this project. BUT...I love it so much, I didn't want to give it up, so I thought.... what could we do that is similar, so my new kids could do the snowman, but the kids who had already done it would have a different option?

So.... I thought of.... wait for it..."Christmas Trees from a Different Perspective"! Every one of my kids from last year chose to do the tree. We still used compasses to make the circles, but then they trimmed them to make them look like branches. Then we added garland, ornaments, and some presents! My example is on the left below, and a student sample is the one on the right!



All the work went up on a bulletin board, and it looked super cute!

I plan to bust out the compasses again to do a solar system art project - Science+Math+Art="SMART"!

What are your ideas for integrating math into art?

Yay!
:) Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment